Mud commits to 100% recycled cotton jeans
brett mathews | 12th March 2019
LAREN – Dutch denim business Mud Jeans says it is confident it will soon be able to offer customers jeans which are made out of 100 per cent recycled cotton. The business made the statement in its inaugural sustainability report which highlights its impressive growth in the past three years. Mud says it sold 25,000 pairs of jeans in 2018, almost triple the amount it was selling in 2016. The products it produces are arguably the most sustainable currently available in the denim space, produced using various amounts of recycled cotton and with all components designed for recycling.
“Making jeans out of 100 per cent recycled cotton will soon be possible. The question is not if but when,” said Dion Vijgeboom, denim specialist & co-owner at Mud Jeans.
The report sets out some impressive 2020 targets, including to conduct an LCA study in order to set CO2 reduction goals that go beyond being carbon neutral; and to conduct a new social audit to gain new insights in the wage situation, working environment and equality at Yousstex International, Mud’s one and only supplier which is based in Tunisia.
Mud Jeans are now sold in 300 stores in over 29 countries. The company also offers leasing options, including free repairs for people leasing its jeans.
Products are made using a combination of organic and recycled cotton.
Says the report: “Our whole collection is made from four different fabrics, three stretch fabrics and 1 rigid fabric. Two fabrics contain 23 per cent post-consumer recycled denim, 75 per cent ECOCERT organic cotton and 2 per cent elastane. The rigid fabric already contains 40 per cent post-consumer recycled cotton and 60 per cent organic cotton.”
On the issue of production, the report says that at Yousstex International 95 per cent of the water used in production is recycled through reverse osmosis, while the remaining 5 per cent is evaporated. This 5 per cent is then refilled with rainwater which eliminates the need for any freshwater use.
Bi-monthly magazine plus full website access just £200 annually.Find out more