NEW DELHI – At least 43 people have died in a fire at a garment factory in New Delhi, India’s capital. Around 200 people are said to have been in the building at the time the fire broke out, which authorities believe was caused by an electrical short circuit. Most were sleeping when the building set alight, and many are said to have died through smoke inhalation. Initial reports suggest the ground floor of the factory made plastic toys, the first floor was involved in cardboard manufacturing, the second floor had a garment workshop, and the third produced jackets and also had printing facilities. Many small textile factories operate out of the area, however, regulations are poor to non-existent and, in this case, the fire – the second most deadly in the capital’s history – failed to trigger safety alarms.
This is Premium Content
Only user with Online and Print subscription can access this.
If you are a Free Subscriber, click here to upgrade.
If you already have Online or Print subscription Login To Unlock The Content!